How to correct a violin or viola bridge?
- If your bridge leans towards to the fingerboard, you should straighten it as soon as possible.
- As you can see in the picture, the best way to move the bridge is to first sit down and place your instrument between your thighs. The tailpiece should be closest to you. Then hold the top of the bridge with your thumbs and index fingers, and press your forearms to your body. Pull the bridge slowly towards you but donít release the forearm pressure during this movement.
- Be aware that the bridge resistance may be quite different with various instruments. If you lubricate the string grooves by graphite, you can expect much less force will be necessary.
- You can of course push the bridge in the opposite direction if needed, but always ensure that your arms and hands are in the correct position.
- Never move the bridge too far. It is better to repeat the procedure again, if the initial correction isn't sufficient.
- If you are in any doubts, consult your luthier.